CALGARY COUNSELLING INFORMATION ON THE SIGNS OF DRUG ABUSE & ADDICTIONS
Some people fail to understand that drug abuse isn’t the result of a lack of willpower or moral principles. Whether it’s alcohol or substance abuse, addiction is a complex disease that requires more than good intentions or a strong will in order to quit. As a chronic and often relapsing brain disease, addiction causes compulsive drug seeking and use, crippling a person’s ability to resist intense impulses to drink or take drugs. It has also been proven that people with a family history of alcohol or drug dependency have a greater likelihood of inheriting the genetic predisposition. Some of the most common signs and symptoms of addiction include:
- Physical dependency – those with a dependence to drugs or alcohol can be left feeling badly or not functioning as preferred once it’s no longer present in their system.
- Bad behaviours – in an effort to obtain whatever they’re a addicted to, addicts can engage in risky activities including lying, stealing or committing crimes.
- Relentless drug-seeking – spending an excessive amount of time and energy to find their substance of choice.
- Reclusiveness – addicts may try to hide their addictions from friends and loved ones by isolating themselves.
- Money issues – some many spend exorbitant amounts of money to fund their addiction, draining their bank accounts and going into debt.
- Forming unhealthy relationships – some people might start spending their time with new groups of people who have similar habits.
When it comes to someone who is struggling with addiction, they might not reach out for help on their own. Whether you or a loved one needs assistance in getting life-saving help, call Liberty Counselling in Calgary to make an appointment. Our counsellor will be able to bring hope and motivation on the road to recovery.